The eagerly awaited Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 is set to make its grand entrance sooner than expected. Samsung has revealed that its Galaxy Unpacked event will take place in Seoul on July 26, where the tech giant is anticipated to unveil its latest foldable devices. This marks the first time the company has hosted an Unpacked event specifically for the launch of foldable phones. Let’s dive into the details, with the highlight being the leaked images showcasing the impressive design enhancements of the Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5.
Leaked Z Fold 5 Press Render Reveals Design Improvements
Thanks to the popular tech website mysmartprice.com, we now have a leaked official promotional image of Galaxy Z Fold 5. In the leaked image, the Galaxy Z Fold 5 is displayed in the Blue color variant, while other color options are anticipated at launch. Notably, the image reveals the inclusion of the S Pen, which could be a separate purchase option, following Samsung’s previous approach.
Examining the image closely, we notice similarities in the placement of the USB Type-C port, speaker grills, and microphone arrangements, akin to the previous generation device. The triple rear camera setup on the back is also reminiscent of the Galaxy Fold 4. However, the standout feature in the leaked image is the slimmer bezel, which is expected to offer a higher screen-to-body ratio and a truly immersive viewing experience on the larger device. We can also see the Z Fold 5 being thinner than Z Fold 4.
But popular tipster ICE UNIVERSE provided detailed information about the thickness of the Z Fold 5. He claims that the thickness of Z Fold 5 is 6.1mm when opened compared to 6.3mm of Z Fold 4, which is just a 0.2mm of difference. Z Fold 5 is way thicker than what other competitors are offering.
Let's take a look at the thickness comparison of folding mobile phones pic.twitter.com/oJHM9rr6vB— ICE UNIVERSE (@UniverseIce) June 16, 2023
ICE UNIVERSE also claims that the leaked promotional image of the Z Fold 5 doesn’t truly resemble the actual device as it appears thinner in the image whereas in real life he saw it’s much thicker.
Galaxy Z Fold5 poster, Samsung beautified the product this time. In fact, the real fold5 is not so thin. The Type C socket in the picture is squashed. I have seen the real fold5, and it is not so thin. pic.twitter.com/gvheKDGgYC— ICE UNIVERSE (@UniverseIce) June 15, 2023
Although the leaked image depicts the Galaxy Z Fold 5 in the Blue color option, Samsung is expected to introduce a wider range of colors. Notably, the image showcases the presence of the S Pen, which may be sold separately, just like in the previous model. Beyond these observations, the image doesn’t provide extensive details about the device. Overall, the design appears to be quite similar to its predecessor, except for the notable slimmer bezel. This suggests that Samsung has opted for an evolutionary design approach rather than a major overhaul this year, exactly just like the year before.
Previously another popular tipster OnLeaks provided some stunning images of the Z fold 5 in Phantom Black color
Z Flip 5 New Leaked Press Render
Mysmartprice.com also has something for Z Flip users. Thanks to their sources they managed to get a new leaked press render of the Z flip 5 in its full glory, showcasing the all-new big cover screen.
Galaxy Unpacked Launch Dates: What to Expect
Samsung has officially confirmed the launch of its upcoming foldable phones. The Samsung Galaxy Unpacked event will be held in Seoul, South Korea. Although the press release did not explicitly disclose the device names, we can safely assume they will be called the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy Z Flip 5, based on past releases. While the exact launch date was not revealed, the late July timeframe aligns with recent reports and production details about the new hinge design. A report also claims that the event will be held on July 26 but it’s yet to be confirmed by Samsung. Notably, this year’s Unpacked event will take place earlier than the previous year’s August event, keeping fans on their toes.
Global Launch Dates
Additionally, separate Unpacked events will be held in the United States and Canada. Mysmartprice.com claims that the US and Canada events are scheduled for August 11, a few days after the Seoul event on July 26, according to their sources. You can read the full article here.
Expected Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Specifications:
Recently leaked specifications shed light on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5, revealing the majority of its boring features:
- Chipset: Notably, the device will be powered by Samsung’s custom-developed Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC, the same chipset found in the flagship Galaxy S23 series. According to a Geekbench listing, the Fold 5’s SoC features the same clock speed as its S23 counterpart.
- Main Display: A stunning 7.6-inch foldable QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X display featuring a new water-drop hinge design, and up to 120Hz refresh rate.
- Cover Display: A 6.2-inch AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection, and Full HD+ resolution.
- RAM/Storage: Options include 8GB or 12GB of RAM, and storage capacities of 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB.
- Battery and Fast Charging: Equipped with a 4400mAh battery and support for 45W fast charging, along with 25W wireless charging capabilities.
- Rear Camera: Features a powerful 50MP primary camera, a 12MP ultra-wide camera, and a 10MP telephoto camera offering 2x optical zoom.
- Front Camera: 12MP camera for the cover screen and an under-display camera in the foldable display.
- Software: One UI 5.1 based on the latest Android 13.
Expected Price: $1799
Expected Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 Specifications:
- Chipset: Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC, same as Galaxy S23 series.
- Main Display: 6.7-inch FHD+ AMOLED.
- Cover Display: New 3.4-inch big cover display with HD resolution.
- RAM/Storage: 8GB RAM, 128GB/256GB internal storage.
- Battery: 3,700mAh with 25W wired charging and Qi-compatible wireless charging.
- Rear Camera: 12MP main camera, 12MP ultrawide lens.
- Additional Features: Possible Samsung DeX support, optimized Google apps for cover display.
- Software: One UI 5.1 based on Android 13.
Expected Price: $999
In conclusion, while the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 brings some enhancements such as the upgraded Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC, slimmer bezels, a new waterdrop hinge, and a slightly reduced thickness, there aren’t any significant improvements over its predecessor. It appears that Samsung is not prioritizing major innovations, possibly due to the absence of significant competition in the foldable phone market. Nonetheless, the Galaxy Z Fold 5 will still be a high-quality foldable device with improved performance and design refinements. It will be a good choice for someone upgrading from the older Z Fold 2 or the original Z Fold.